The Benefits to Clear Aligner Therapy
Kenilworth, IL – Invisalign clear aligners took the orthodontic world by storm when the technology was first introduced in the late 1990s. Not only was Invisalign the first method invented to straighten teeth without the need for brackets and wires, it also was the first to use computer-aided imagery to provide cutting edge treatment.
People marveled at the idea of being able to get the smile of their dreams in the most discreet manner possible, and in no time, patients were asking for Invisalign by name.
Invisalign is still the most commonly thought of and used clear aligner therapy in the orthodontic world. However, it’s not the only one. Dr. Michael Stosich, a highly skilled and experienced orthodontist in Round Lake area who received specialized Invisalign training, uses both Invisalign and iD Clear Aligners by Sure Smile in his practice.
“When Invisalign was first introduced, it was all the rage, but we often had to deliver the news to patients that they were not ideal candidates for the treatment,” says Dr. Stosich. “In the beginning, clear aligners really only worked on the most mild to moderate cases. But as technology has advanced, so have clear aligners. Today, we can use Invisalign or my patented iD Clear Aligners on a much broader patient base.”
So, what are the advantages to clear aligner therapy over traditional braces?
- Clear aligners are just that – clear. The aligners are made from a clear plastic that renders them almost invisible in the mouth. This means patients won’t draw more attention to a problem they are trying to correct.
- Clear aligners are comfortable. The plastic aligners are smooth, and because there are no brackets and wires, they offer a much more comfortable orthodontic experience.
- Clear aligners are removable. That means patients can eat and drink whatever they want to during treatment. There are no brackets or wires to worry about damaging – simply remove the aligners to eat and drink anything other than plain water.
- Clear aligners make it easer to care for your smile during treatment. Because the aligners are removable, you can take them out to brush and floss as you normally would. There are no brackets or wires to try to brush and floss around, and no worry that food will get caught in them.
- Clear aligners are completely customized. Every aligner set is custom designed for the individual patient, offering the highest level of individualized care.
- Clear aligners are efficient. Custom clear aligner therapy offers extremely efficient care, even for complex orthodontic issues.
- Clear aligner therapy often requires fewer follow-up appointments than traditional braces. Because there are no wires to adjust or brackets to inspect, follow-up appointments can be fewer and take less time out of your busy schedule.
- Clear aligner therapy can often be completed in the same amount of time as traditional braces. Treatment times can often be on par with traditional braces, as long as the patient is compliant with following all care and wear instructions.
- Clear aligner therapy no longer costs significantly more than braces. In the beginning, clear aligners were expensive and often cost-prohibitive to many patients. Today, clear aligner therapy costs are relatively close to the cost of traditional braces and treatment is often covered by dental insurance.
“Clear aligner therapy has come a long way thanks to tremendous leaps in research and technology,” says Dr. Stosich. “Today, it’s often an excellent treatment option for many patients. But the best treatment option will always be treatment provided by a well-trained, board certified orthodontist who understands not only the latest technologies, but the science and planning involved in straightening teeth.”
To learn more about clear aligner therapy and if it’s the right step to take in your orthodontic journey, call Dr. Stosch at iDentity Orthodontics today at 847-548-4200 (Grayslake) or 224-408-2200 (Kenilworth).