Can Orthodontics Correct a Canted Smile?
Round Lake, IL – Some smiles come in slightly tilted or with a degree of asymmetry in relation to the lips and gums. If you notice something that is just slightly off when you smile, you may be tempted to hide your smile rather than displaying it for the world to see. And that’s where Dr. Michael Stosich comes in.
“Orthodontic treatment is available to help individuals who present with a host of different issues,” says Dr. Stosich. “Sometimes, that issue is mostly a cosmetic concern, but many times even cosmetic issues can also lead to problems with functionality over time.”
What is a canted smile?
The term “cant” refers to the line of your teeth. This line is usually straight and symmetrical as we look at the front view of a person’s smile. In an ideal smile, the can line should be at a 90-degree ancle to the facial midline. However, some people have teeth that, while the smile looks straight, the teeth are actually tilted, leading to a canted smile.
There are several reasons why a patient may have canted teeth. They include:
- Issues with jaw alignment
- Skeletal asymmetry resulting from uneven bone loss
- Alignment issues
- Uneven gum recession
Occlusal plane canting is often considered a cosmetic issue, but it can lead to functionality problems, and in issue with the proper eruption of permanent teeth in children. In these cases, treatment to correct the cant may be recommended. And then that canted smile is the result of jaw or alignment issues, Dr. Stosich is here to help.
“Orthodontic treatment is an excellent way to correct the cant of teeth and provide a more aesthetically pleasing smile while improving the overall function of the bite,” says Dr. Stosich. “We have a variety of treatment options and additional appliances that can be used to ensure every patient receives the very best treatment possible for the issue they present with.”
Dr. Stosich is committed to providing personalized care using the most innovative orthodontic technologies available. His patients benefit not only from his years of experience, but from his dedication to ensuring only the absolute best treatment options for his patients.
If orthodontic treatment is recommended to correct your canted smile, you’ll work with Dr. Stosich to determine which treatment option is the best for you. Dr. Stosich offers clear and metal braces, iD clear aligners, and Invisalign as treatment options.
- Stosich’s patented low-profile iD braces are not only high-tech, but they are also efficient, effective, and completely personalized to the individual patient. Guided by Dr. Stosich’s expertise, they are the most effective at guiding teeth. You can even choose braces made of ceramic materials rather than metal to ensure a higher level of discretion.
- iD Clear Aligners by SureSmile are the most efficient and precise way to straighten your smile discreetly. Custom designed for each individual patient, iD clear aligners are more precise, resulting in shorter treatment times.
- Invisalign clear aligners offer a comfortable, clear, and removable way to get the smile you’ve always wanted. Dr. Stosich was specially trained in Invisalign during is orthodontic residency, so his patients know they are in the most expert hands.
After an initial consultation with Dr. Stosich to determine your exact issue, a fully customized treatment plan will be created if orthodontic treatment is believed to be the best option to correct your issue. As a leader in patient care, Dr. Stosich has the expertise and knowledge to ensure a properly aligned and symmetrical smile, while ensuring a properly functioning bite, as well. Call iDentity Orthodontics today to schedule your complimentary consultation.